Amendments to N.J.A.C. 7:9A Regarding Cesspools and Inspections for Real Property Transfers - An Update:
Amendments to the Standards for Individual Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems (N.J.A.C. 7:9A) have been adopted and will appear in the April 2, 2012 New Jersey Register. The Onsite Wastewater Management Program has included some highlights on these amendments.
The Onsite Wastewater Management Program maintains the regulations governing low volume residential and commercial onsite wastewater treatment systems, commonly called septic systems. These regulations, the
Standards for Individual Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems (N.J.A.C. 7:9A) contain requirements for the proper design, construction, and operation of systems to protect public health and the environment. This program is coodinated with, and implemented though, the local health departments. The program is committed to improving New Jersey’s water quality and protecting human health and the environment and both improving and promoting local septic management.
A new wastewater regulation was adopted by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP), and took effect on April 2, 2012. The new regulation concerns septic systems and inspection requirements for all real property transfers. For further information, please consult the NJDEP website at
The important points you should know:
- Sales involving properties with septic systems may take longer to close.
- Any seller in New Jersey with property having a cesspool cannot complete a sale of that property until a new septic system is installed.
- The only exception is if the property is sold to a family member.
- For real estate transactions under contract before April 2, 2012, with closing scheduled prior to June:
- If a cesspool is in working order and the closing is within 60 days of the April 2 effective date (June 2), the cesspool is not required to be upgraded.
- If a cesspool requires repairs, the system must be upgraded prior to closing.
- Clients should consult with their attorneys for detailed information about their obligations.
To see if you qualify for any low down payment programs like the First Time Home Buyers Program, Smart Start Program or the USDA Loan Program contact me anytime.
For an updated list of open houses this coming Saturday and Sunday in Somerset County, NJ, email me directly at CarolKronmaier@Weichert.com.
If you are considering a move into or out of Hillsborough, it pays to plan ahead. Start here to search homes for rent or sale in Hillsborough, NJ. I focus on Hillsborough but am well prepared to discuss other areas as well: Montgomery, Manville, Bridgewater, Raritan, Branchburg, and Somerset- most of Somerset and Hunterdon counties!
Please scan this QR code to open my mobile website that will help you search for listings and other local real estate information!
For more great tips: Visit my web site at: http://www.CarolKronmaierHomes.com
Have questions, need advice you can count on or just want to discuss this further?
Don't waste any more time; pick up the phone and call me now! I'm here to help!